Spice is the soul of New Orleans, and hospitality is its heart. But there is no better way to feel its vital spirit than through that legendary seafood. Whether it’s from the white-clothed, river-view establishments to humble neighborhood joints where outside you can’t hear your footsteps for all of that music or anywhere in between there is an oyster po ‘boy and a bowl of gumbo waiting just right for every palate, taste, and pocketbook.
From fine-dining havens like GW Fins, where innovative chefs reimagine the bounty of the sea, to charming local haunts like Acme Oyster House, where briny bivalves reign supreme, we’ll have you slurping, sizzling, and grinning your way through every meal.
Best Seafood Restaurants in New Orleans
This guide serves as your compass, leading you to the right eateries. Nor will your belly be spared. So, dig out your napkin and unbutton your jeans, let’s take a tasty trip through the essence of New Orleans shrimp! Here are some of the best seafood restaurants in New Orleans, catering to a variety of budgets and preferences:
- GW Fins: This upscale restaurant is known for its innovative and ever-changing seafood menu, featuring the freshest catches of the day. They also have an extensive wine list and impeccable service.
- Miss River: Located in the Four Seasons hotel, Miss River offers stunning views of the Mississippi River and a menu celebrating the Louisiana waterways’ bounty. Expect dishes like Gulf fish crudo, lobster bouillabaisse, and grilled whole fish.
- King Brasserie + Bar: This chic restaurant serves up French-inspired seafood dishes with a modern twist. Their menu includes items like oysters Rockefeller, lobster thermidor, and grilled branzino.
- Oceana Grill: This lively restaurant is a popular spot for both locals and tourists. They have a large menu of classic New Orleans seafood dishes, as well as some more creative options. Be sure to try their grilled oysters or the blackened catfish po’boy.
- Deanie’s Seafood: This family-owned restaurant has served delicious seafood for over 50 years. They’re known for their generous portions and friendly service. Try their fried oyster basket or the shrimp and grits.
- Acme Oyster House: This iconic New Orleans restaurant is a must-visit for any oyster lover. They have a variety of oysters on the half shell, as well as fried oysters, oyster po’boys, and oyster stew.
- Superior Seafood & Oyster Bar: This no-frills restaurant is a great spot for a casual seafood meal. They have a large selection of fresh oysters, as well as boiled shrimp, crawfish, and gumbo.
- Gallier’s Restaurant & Oyster Bar: This neighborhood restaurant is a local favorite for its fresh seafood and friendly atmosphere. They have a classic New Orleans menu with items like grilled fish, shrimp Creole, and oyster po’boys.
- Basin Seafood and Spirits: This lively bar and restaurant has a great selection of fresh seafood, as well as po’boys, gumbo, and other New Orleans favorites. They also have a large patio that’s perfect for people-watching.
No matter what your budget or your taste, you’re sure to find the perfect seafood restaurant in New Orleans. So grab a bib and get ready to feast!