Costa Rica might be the perfect place for backpackers and solo travellers. The country has many tourist cities in Costa Rica, plenty of attractions such as tropical beaches, natural wander, travel and digital nomad communities, nightlife and party, and adventure locations that are great for tourists, or people who just want to experience something new.
If you like to see the most beautiful beaches on earth, then head over to Puerto Viejo. If you’re into hiking and exploring volcanoes, then Puerto Limón is where it’s at. If you like drinking coffee and listening to live music, then must visit Cartago. And if you love wine and food, then Liberia should be high on your list!
Here are the Top Best Tourist Cities in Costa Rica
As a tourist, you’ll want to take advantage of as many attractions as possible. Some of the top tourist cities in Costa Rica and their attractions:
San José is one of the most popular cities in Costa Rica. It’s also known as “The Heart of Central America.” This is the capital of Costa Rica and has a population of over two million people.
This city is known for its beaches and mountain and is home to many attractions like the National Museum of Costa Rica, Central Market, La Sablonera market, and much more. You can visit some of the top attractions in San José by visiting museums like The National Museum of Costa Rica, Museo Nacional de Costa Rica, and Museo Juan Pablo II.
Top Attractions in San José, Costa Rica
- Teatro Nacional Costa Rica
- Avenida Central – Central Avenue
- Museo Nacional De Costa Rica
- Monteverde Cloud Forest
- Plaza de la Cultura
- Manuel Antonio National Park
- La Paz Waterfall Garden
- Jade Museum – Museo del Jade
- Tortuga Island
- Arenal Volcano
- National Theater of Costa Rica
- Pre-Colombian Gold Museum
- La Chimba Coffee Farm
- Poás Volcano
- Costa Rican Centre of Science and Culture
- La Sabana Metropolitan Park
- Wildlife Rescue Center
- Jaco Beach
- Sarapiquí and Toro Rivers
- Barrio Escalante
- Central Market in San Jose
- Museo de los Ninos
- Pura Vida
- Costa Rica Beer Factory
- butterfly garden
- Mariposario Butterfly Kingdom Costa Rica
This small town is located near Montezuma Beach and boasts a historic harbor filled with fishing boats and houses built into cliffsides overlooking the ocean. Puerto Viejo also has many hotels and restaurants—so if you’re interested in staying there overnight while exploring nearby areas like Montezuma Beach, this would be an excellent choice!
Puerto Viejo is located on the Caribbean coast and is known for its beautiful beaches, which are perfect for swimming or surfing. There are also plenty of restaurants where you can enjoy a nice meal while watching dolphins swim in the water just offshore! If you’re lucky enough to be there at sunset when whales surface near shore, then make sure you capture that moment on camera because it’s absolutely breathtaking!
Top Attractions in Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica
- Jaguar Rescue Center (Wildlife rescue center offering tours)
- Parque Nacional Cahuita (Vibrant preserve with beaches & wildlife)
- Playa Puerto Viejo (Beach)
- Caribean Chocolate and Coffee
- Finca la Isla Permaculture Farm, (Plant Nursery and Botanical Garden)
- Life Culture Travel Costa Rica
- Caribe Shuttle Tour Desk
- PURE Jungle Spa (Honeymoon)
- Playa Cocles (Relaxed white sand beach for surfing)
- Talamanca Chocolate
- Playa Negra (Beach known for its surfable waves)
- Caribe Horse Riding Club
- El barco hundido (Beach)
- Perla Negra Beachfront
- Playa Chiquita (Tranquil beach with a swimming reef)
- Cacao Trails – Museo de Cacao
- Ride The Rainforest Costa Rica
- Pick Up Nativo Adventures
- Bri Bri waterfalls
- Ara Manzanillo
- Finca Tierra Permaculture
- Playa Punta Uva (Beach with a coral reef & scuba diving)
Cartago is a city located close to San Jose with plenty of shops and restaurants where you can enjoy yourself while sightseeing around town! There’s also an airport nearby so if you need an easy way out of town this is
The city is famous for its parks and gardens which are free to enter day or night! You can also take a walk through downtown Cartago’s historic district which contains many shops selling local crafts made from recycled materials such as banana leaves! Also, make sure to check out La Plaza de la Cultura which will give you an insight into what life was.
Top Attractions in Cartago, Costa Rica
- Jardín Botánico Lankester (Native plant showcase with epiphytes)
- Basílica de Nuestra Señora de los Ángeles – Basilica of Our Lady of the Angels (Expansive church with a sacred statue)
- Ruins of Cartago (Catholic church remains & urban garden)
- Cartago Municipal Museum (Museum, art, and history)
- Cartago Municipal Market (Market)
- Parroquia María Auxiliadora (Architecture)
- Mirador de Orosi (Scenic lookout with a picnic area)
- Carlos Durán Sanitarium Viewpoint (Famed sanitarium said to be haunted)
- Irazú Volcano National Park (Sightseeing at an active volcano)
- Guayabo National Monument (Historic site with indigenous ruins)
- Turrialba Volcano (Active volcano with trails for viewing)
- Ruinas de Ujarrás (Historical church ruins & a garden)
- Parque Nacional Tapantí – Macizo de la Muerte (Secluded park for hikes & nature scenery)
- Irazú Volcano (Active volcano with scenic hiking trails)
Liberia, Costa Rica is a beautiful country with a lot to offer. It has beautiful beaches, friendly people and interesting history.
Liberia is a laid-back vibe and beautiful parks, it’s the perfect place to spend some time relaxing in the sun. If you’re looking for something a little more active, there are plenty of opportunities for hiking and exploring here—it’s also home to several golf courses!
Top Attractions in Liberia, Costa Rica
- Rincón de la vieja national park
- Parque mario cañas ruiz
- Tenorio river
- Miravalles volcano
- Ponderosa adventure park
- Guanacaste region
- La Leona waterfall
- Palo verde national park
- Tio Leo coffee tour
- Oropendula waterfall
- La Vieja waterfalls
- Playa hermosa
- Poza Los coyotes
- Witch’s rock
- Llanos de cortés waterfall
- Barra honda national park
- Garden art gallery
- Santa rosa
- Las baulas national park
Puerto Limón is a city in Costa Rica. It is located on the Caribbean Sea and is part of the province of Limon. Puerto Limón is a great place to visit for travelers looking for an adventure. There are plenty of things to do, whether you want to relax on the beach or go explore the jungle.
The city has clear waters and white sand, which makes it an ideal destination for swimming and snorkeling. There are plenty of hotels and resorts in Puerto Limón that offer beachfront accommodations and excellent service.
Top Attractions in Puerto Limón, Costa Rica
- Veragua Rainforest Park
- Cahuita National Park
- Playa Bonita
- Playa Cieneguita
- The Sloth Sanctuary
- Pacuare River
- Reventazon River
- Del Monte banana plantation
- Jaguar Rescue Center
- Banana Plantation Tour
- Gandoca-Manzanillo Wildlife Refuge
- Tortuguero Canals
- Isla Uvita
- Vargas Park
- Central Market of Puerto Limon
- Cariari Wetlands Park
Golfito is a great place to stay if you’re travelling for work or a vacation. It’s close to the airport, and there are plenty of restaurants and bars and plenty of wildlife and national parks here that cater to travelers.
If you’re looking for a place to relax after a long day of travel, Golfito has all the amenities that you could want—from spas to clubs and gyms. Plus, it has some of the best beaches in Costa Rica!
Top Attractions in Golfito, Costa Rica
- Playa Puntarenitas
- Playa Cacao
- Golfito Marina Village & Resort
- Avellán Waterfall & Trails
- Tropical Escapade
- Golfito Monkey Tours
- Paradise Tropical Gardens
- Banana Bay Marina
- Costa rica peche Passion
- Fish Hook Marina
- Piedras Blancas National Park
- Playa Zancudo
- Zamia Wildlife Refuge
- Canopy Bosque Mar
- Golfito National Wildlife Refuge
- Osa Tropical
- Corcovado National Park
- Osa Wildlife Sanctuary
- Las Cruces Biological Station
- Wilson Botanical Garden
Alajuela is known for its beautiful beaches and stunning natural scenery, but it’s also a great place to stay if you’re planning on traveling around Costa Rica. The city has an airport and train service that can take you to other parts of the country—including San Jose—and there are plenty of hotels, hostels, restaurants, and bars that offer good value for money. If you’re looking to explore the surrounding area, Alajuela has several tour companies that offer day trips around Guanacaste province or into Nicaragua.
Top Attractions in Alajuela, Costa Rica
- Poas volcano national park
- La Paz waterfall gardens
- Mariposario la casa de la morpho azul butterfly garden
- Ark ethno botanical garden
- General Tomas guardia park
- Chocolate tour at san mateo de alajuela
- Rescate wildlife rescue center
- Alajuela cathedral
- Church of agony
- Coffee tour at hacienda alsacia
- Alajuela’s central park
- Mercado municipal de alajuela (central market)
- Mantra trail
- Juan santamaria park
- Ziplining at hacienda y beneficio la chimba
- Juan santamaria museum
- Doka estate
- Botanical orchid garden
- The butterfly farm
- Zoo ave
Heredia is a great city to visit if you are looking for a laid-back atmosphere, parks, natural wonders, historical places and some good food. The city has a lot of history, but it’s also modern and easy to navigate. You can spend hours in the city center if you want, but there’s also plenty of space for walking or taking in the scenery outside of it.
Top Attractions in Heredia, Costa Rica
- Barva Central Park
- San Juan De Tibas Park
- Nicolás Ulloa Central Park
- Museum of Popular Culture (Museum and popular culture)
- Centro Recreativo Bosque de la Hoja (Urban park with a playground & trails)
- Parque Alfredo Gonzalez Flores (Park)
- Centro de la Cultura Herediana Omar Dengo (Cultural center in a historic building)
- Wildlife Refuge Cerro Dantas (Nature)
- Parroquia de Heredia -Inmaculada Concepción (Church)
- Refugio Animal de Costa Rica (Animal rehabilitation center with tours)
- Spirogyra Butterfly Garden (Live insects in a calm, natural setting)
- Ojo de Agua (Water park with outdoor pools & a lake)
- Grand Casino Escazú (Casino and poker)
- Santo Domingo Central Park
- Toucan Rescue Ranch (Sloths, toucans, and wildlife)
- Oxígeno Human Playground
Sa Isidro de El General
If you’re looking for a place to take your family and friends on vacation, look no further than the beautiful Sa Isidro de El General in Costa Rica. With its incredible beaches, rainforest, parks, and mountainous landscape, this paradise is perfect for those who want to relax and enjoy themselves.
Top Attractions in Sa Isidro de El General, Costa Rica
- Pérez Zeledón Central Park
- Chirripó National Park (Vast park with mountains & rain forests)
- Irazú Volcano (Active volcano with scenic hiking trails)
- Cerro Chirripó (Tall mountain with a rich eco-system)
- Parque de Palmares (Park)
- Catedral San Isidro Labrador
- National Museum of Costa Rica (Museum of Costa Rican culture & history)
- Costa Rica Trekking Expeditions
- Eco Chontales Waterfall
- Cloudbridge Nature Reserve (Forest, nature, and park)
- Pacific Journeys
- Autentico Adventures
- Quebradas Biological Center
Costa Rica is a land of beauty and adventure, with a rich history and culture that stretches back thousands of years. Whether you’re a history buff or just looking to relax in paradise, here are five reasons why you should visit Costa Rica.
- From the beach to the mountains, Costa Rica has something for everyone. The country has an amazing variety of landscapes and climates, from tropical beaches to snow-capped peaks.
- The food is delicious. In fact, it’s so good that some people say it’s better than the best restaurants in New York City! You can find all kinds of cuisines from local specialties like gallo pinto (rice and beans) and baleadas (fried bread) to international favorites like sushi or steak tartare.
- It’s safe! Costa Rica has one of the moderate crime rates in Central America; nearly every tourist who visits comes away unscathed by crime or other unpleasantries associated with travel abroad.
- You can see monkeys! You might not get to see them up close, but they’re definitely nearby—and they make great photo ops! Plus they’ll entertain you while you wait in line at immigration or customs…
What is the most visited city in Costa Rica?
You’ll find vast stretches of rainforest, beaches, and even up-and-coming cities like Liberia and Puerto Limón. It’s an amazing place to visit, especially if you’re looking for a little adventure. And if you want to be surrounded by nature, there’s no better place than Costa Rica!
What part of Costa Rica is best for vacation?
If you just want to relax on vacation, Costa Rica’s Central Valley has some of the most famous beaches in the world—perfect for surfing, swimming, and relaxing by the shore. If you like hiking and exploring nature, the Central Valley will offer plenty of beautiful parks and trails for those activities.
Costa Rica is a beautiful country with a lot of great things to do. But you don’t have to go far to find some amazing destinations!
1. Monteverde: This town is home to one of the most beautiful national parks in the country, and it’s also known for its coffee plantations and hiking trails.
2. Manuel Antonio National Park: This park is known for its natural beauty, but it’s also home to some incredible beaches and activities like kayaking, snorkeling, SUPing, surfing… you name it!
3. Santa Ana Volcano: This volcano is one of the largest in Costa Rica. If you’re looking for an incredible view of the ocean from above, this is your place!
What cities should you visit in Costa Rica?
Costa Rica is an amazing country, but it’s not all the same. Each city has its own unique vibe, so you can’t go wrong by visiting multiple towns in Costa Rica.
Those we recommend are:
San José: The capital city with a lot of history and a great nightlife scene.
Cartago: A small city on the banks of the Sierpe River, with lots of history as well as a great nightlife scene.
Dominical: A small town that is known for its beaches, but also has a lot to offer if you’re looking for other things to do during your trip.
What is the nicest city in Costa Rica?
If so, we have some suggestions for you. Here are three cities that are sure to be worth your time:
1. San Jose: This city has a rich history, and it’s also relatively easy to get around in. The central square is called Plaza de la Ciudad, and it contains many historic buildings from the colonial period. You can visit several museums here as well. If you’re looking for something new and exciting, check out the Circo Price (the Circus Price), which has been entertaining locals since 1947!
2. Tamarindo: This quaint beach town is a great place to relax after exploring San Jose! It’s known for its white sand beaches and crystal-clear water that’s perfect for swimming or snorkeling. If you need a break from sightseeing on land, consider taking a boat tour of the island or renting an ATV for a day at one of its many beaches.
3. Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve: This reserve was created in 1975 by Costa Rican President Luis Echeverria Alvarez to protect one of the country’s most important ecosystems—the Monteverde Cloud Forest—from destruction by human activity like deforestation.
4. Puerto Limon: Puerto Limon is known as “the party capital” due to its nightlife. It also has beautiful beaches and plenty of activities for visitors—including diving on the nearby Isla del Caño Tortuga Marine Reserve. To get there, take a boat from Puntarenas to Puerto Limon (about 2-3 hours).
5. Cartago: Cartago is known as the “gateway to La Paz,” because it sits on top of one of the country’s most beautiful lakes. There are tons of activities for visitors here, like hiking through La Paz Waterfall Park or visiting La Palma Waterfalls. You can also go hiking around Monte Verde National Park.