Netflix is a great way to kill time on a plane. But if you’re looking for something more than just a few episodes of Friends or Modern Family, we’ve got you covered with our list of the best movies to watch on a plane.
From classics like Yes Man, Brooklyn, and Shawshank Redemption: Limited Edition to new releases like The Big Sick and Baby Driver, these are films that will keep your mind occupied and your eyes entertained for hours on your long flight. You can even stream them all in one place — just make sure you’re allowed to watch on a flight and you have an internet connection!
Here are some popular Best Movies to Watch on a Plane on Netflix that are suitable for watching on a plane:
- The Shawshank Redemption: A story about a man who is falsely convicted of murder and sent to Shawshank prison, where he develops a friendship with a fellow inmate and finds hope and redemption.
- Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara is a 2011 Indian coming-of-age comedy-drama film directed by Zoya Akhtar and produced by Farhan Akhtar and Ritesh Sidhwani. The film stars Hrithik Roshan, Farhan Akhtar, Abhay Deol, and Katrina Kaif. The film tells the story of three friends who embark on a bachelor road trip across Spain before one of them gets married. It will feel similar to the Hangover movie.
- Forrest Gump: A story about a man with a low IQ who leads an extraordinary life, including serving in the Vietnam War, playing college football, and meeting historical figures.
- Inception: A story about a team of specialists who enter the minds of people to steal their secrets, but their latest job leads them into a dangerous situation.
- Goodfellas: A story about the rise and fall of a young man in the mob, based on the true story of Henry Hill.
- The Dark Knight: A story about Batman’s efforts to stop the Joker, a criminal mastermind, from terrorizing Gotham City.
- The Godfather: A story about the Corleone crime family, and the patriarch’s decision to hand over the reins of the family business to his son Michael.
- Pulp Fiction: A story told in a non-linear narrative, following the lives of several characters in the Los Angeles criminal underworld.
- The Godfather: Part II: A story about the early years of Vito Corleone and the rise of Michael Corleone, set against the backdrop of the Corleone crime family.
- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring: A story about hobbit Frodo Baggins, who is entrusted with the dangerous task of destroying the One Ring and the Dark Lord Sauron.
- Star Wars: A New Hope: A story about a young farm boy, Luke Skywalker, who is drawn into a battle to save the galaxy from the evil Empire and the powerful Darth Vader.
- Jurassic Park is a science fiction film released in 1993. It is based on the novel of the same name by Michael Crichton and directed by Steven Spielberg. The story follows a group of scientists visiting a theme park that contains cloned dinosaurs, but when the park’s security system fails, the dinosaurs break loose and threaten the visitors.
- The Matrix: is a science fiction film released in 1999. It is written and directed by the Wachowski brothers. The film depicts a dystopian future in which humanity is trapped inside a simulated reality created by sentient machines to distract and pacify them, while their bodies are used as an energy source. The protagonist, Neo, is a hacker who is drawn into a rebellion against machines.
- Titanic: is a romantic drama film released in 1997. It is directed, written, and co-produced by James Cameron. The film is a fictionalized account of the sinking of the RMS Titanic and follows the love story of a poor artist, Jack, and a wealthy woman, Rose.
- The Prestige is a 2006 psychological thriller film directed by Christopher Nolan and written by Jonathan Nolan. The film tells the story of two rival stage magicians in London at the end of the 19th century, who engage in competitive one-upmanship in a bid to create the ultimate stage illusion.
- The Green Mile is a 1999 fantasy drama film directed by Frank Darabont. The film is based on Stephen King’s 1996 novel of the same name. The story is set on death row in the 1930s and follows the life of a prison guard who discovers that one of the inmates, John Coffey, has supernatural power.
- The Silence of the Lambs is a 1991 psychological thriller film directed by Jonathan Demme. The film is based on the 1988 novel of the same name by Thomas Harris. The story follows an FBI agent, Clarice Starling, as she tracks down a serial killer, “Buffalo Bill”, who is murdering young women.
- The Terminator is a 1984 science fiction film directed by James Cameron. The film stars Arnold Schwarzenegger as a cyborg assassin sent back in time to kill Sarah Connor, the mother of a future resistance leader.
- The Lion King is a 1994 animated musical film produced by Walt Disney Feature Animation. The film tells the story of Simba, a lion prince who must overcome his own personal demons and reclaim his rightful place as king of the Pride Lands.
- The Social Network is a 2010 drama film directed by David Fincher and written by Aaron Sorkin. The film depicts the founding of the social networking website Facebook and the resulting lawsuits.
- The Departed is a 2006 crime drama film directed by Martin Scorsese and written by William Monahan. The film is set in South Boston and follows the story of a young police officer, Billy Costigan, who goes undercover to infiltrate a criminal organization led by a man named Frank Costello.
- The Pursuit of Happyness is a 2006 biographical drama film directed by Gabriele Muccino. The film is based on the true story of Chris Gardner, a struggling salesman who becomes homeless with his young son, but manages to pull himself out of poverty and become a successful stockbroker.
- The Incredible Jessica James is a 2017 romantic comedy-drama film written and directed by Jim Strouse. The film stars Jessica Williams as a playwright who is recovering from a recent breakup, and Chris O’Dowd as a divorced app designer.
- The Spy Who Dumped Me is a 2018 action comedy film directed by Susanna Fogel. The film stars Mila Kunis and Kate McKinnon as best friends who unexpectedly become embroiled in a spy adventure after one of them discovers that her ex-boyfriend is actually a CIA agent.
- The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy is a 2005 science fiction comedy film directed by Garth Jennings. The film is based on Douglas Adams’ 1978 novel of the same name and follows the misadventures of an unwitting human and an alien researcher as they travel through space.
- The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is a 2013 adventure comedy-drama film directed by and starring Ben Stiller. The film is based on James Thurber’s 1939 short story of the same name and follows a man who escapes his mundane existence by daydreaming about adventures, but eventually gets the chance to live them out in reality.
- The Bucket List is a 2007 comedy-drama film directed by Rob Reiner and starring Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman. The film follows two terminally ill men, who escape from a cancer ward and head off on a road trip with a wish list of to-dos before they “kick the Bucket.”
- The Great Gatsby is a 2013 romantic drama film directed by Baz Luhrmann and based on the 1925 novel of the same name by F. Scott Fitzgerald. The film tells the story of Jay Gatsby, a wealthy man who throws extravagant parties in an attempt to win back his former love, Daisy Buchanan.
- The Best of Me is a 2014 romantic drama film directed by Michael Hoffman, based on the novel of the same name by Nicholas Sparks. The film tells the story of Dawson and Amanda, former high school sweethearts who reconnect after 20 years apart and find themselves falling in love again.
- Arrival is a 2016 science fiction film directed by Denis Villeneuve and starring Amy Adams. The film tells the story of a linguist who is recruited by the military to communicate with extraterrestrial beings that have landed on Earth. The movie received widespread critical acclaim, with many praising its thought-provoking and emotionally resonant story, as well as Adams’ powerful performance. The film was nominated for several awards, including Best Picture at the Academy Awards. Overall, “Arrival” is a smart and engaging science fiction film that will make you think as much as it will make you feel.
What is the best movie to watch on a plane?
If you’re looking for a great movie to watch on a plane, it’s best to consider what you’re in the mood for. Some popular options include classic films like “The Godfather” or “Casablanca,” action-packed movies like “Die Hard” or “The Bourne Identity,” or even a comedy like “Bridesmaids” or “Airplane!”
What should I watch on a long flight?
When it comes to what to watch on a long flight, it’s best to choose something that will keep you entertained for the duration of the flight. If you’re a fan of TV shows, consider a series with several seasons available, like “The Office” or “Friends.” If you prefer movies, consider a film with a lot of action or a complex storyline to keep your attention, like “The Shawshank Redemption” or “The Dark Knight.”
Can you watch Netflix on a plane?
If you want to watch Netflix on a plane, it’s best to check with your airline to see if they offer Wi-Fi or a streaming service. Many airlines now offer in-flight streaming options, but some may not. You can also download movies and shows to watch offline.
What can I use to watch movies on a plane?
To watch movies on a plane, you can use your own devices such as a laptop, tablet, or smartphone with a streaming app or a USB drive with movies downloaded on it. Some airlines also offer in-flight entertainment systems with a selection of movies and TV shows, or you can bring a portable DVD player.